HOLY TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
January 26, 2016
PRESENT: Rogers Howard, Senior Warden; Marie D’Imperio, Junior Warden; Joanne Wallend, Parish Life/Fellowship; Brian Jacobsen, Stewardship; Joe Rezendes, Evangelism; Mickey Vallejo;
Fr. Randy Hehr, Priest-in-Charge.
ALSO PRESENT: Bob Wallend; Mariellen Bauer; Mid Brock, Acting Treasurer; Jan McMahon, Vestry Secretary.
ABSENT: Alain Robitaille, Outreach.
The meeting opened at 6:30 PM with prayer led by Fr. Randy.
Minutes of the December 29, 2015 meeting
Minutes of the December 29, 2015 vestry meeting were reviewed and corrected.
Motion: Marie moved that the minutes of the December 29, 2015 meeting be accepted as amended; seconded by Brian. Vote: Carried without dissent
Thank you expressed to Joanne for taking the December meeting minutes.
Rogers reported that there was a Finance Committee budget meeting held December 12 at which the 2016 Holy Trinity Budget was reviewed. Vestry approved the budget by telephone vote prior to the Annual Meeting.
The Financial Report for December 2015 and Treasurers Report for December 2015 were distributed prior to the meeting.
- Deanery funds are now shown in a new restricted account (08004).
- Income changes included:
- Diocese contribution toward legal expenses for Educare (04102).
- Daycare rent for December was received, and will be reflected in January (04123).
- Some December bills were held until January due to cash flow issues. January payments will be higher, reflecting that doubling up.
Mid expressed gratitude to the vestry for support during her service as acting treasurer.
Motion: Rogers moved that HT accept the $100,000 check given by the anonymous donor to pay down the mortgage principal; seconded by Joe. Vote: Carried without dissent.
Fr. Randy will, once again, make an attempt to express our gratitude to the donor, perhaps through the Trust.
Motion: Joanne moved that the December 2015 Financial Report and Treasurer’s Report be accepted; seconded by Brian. Vote: Carried without dissent.
Bob Wallend reported on the branding process.
- Thanks to all who have assisted with this project.
- Explanation of the background behind the need for a new logo.
- Samples of other Episcopal Church logos.
- Samples of other denomination logos.
- Explanation of the process of the creation of the new logo.
- Unveiling of the new logo for HT.
- Distribution of the new logo with explanation of the design.
The logo was interpreted and discussed.
Motion: Rogers moved that the vestry endorse the work of the branding team offering gratitude for the logo presented; seconded by Joe. Vote: Carried without dissent.
After discussion, it was determined that the logo would be rolled out to the congregation on Feb. 28, giving sufficient time to do it well and have everything ready to go. There was discussion of the impact of the new logo on the bulletin cover, noting that the logo will be on the front, with the drawing of the church and a map on the back cover.
Fr. Randy presented a summary of two documents connected to the resolution of Educare:
Document 1: Restates the plan for Daisy’s repayment to HT and the lawsuit. Daisy will pay $5,000 at signing and $500/month for four years for a total of $29,000. Remainder of document deals with the lawsuit.
Document 2: The lease agreement with Andrew Pisko, an edited, updated version of the current lease. This is a 3-month plan for $5,518/month plus a payment of $3,000 no later than the end of April.
These two documents represent decisions that have already received vestry approval. The details need to be worked through by Rogers, Ernie, Karen and Randy with the two attorneys respectively. This work will include ensuring that both the money and the time periods are correct.
Concern was expressed that the utility costs are not included in the agreement with Andrew Pisko. Rogers stated that this will be clarified noting that, unlike the previous lease, other costs are now rolled into the rent.
Motion: Joanne moved that the vestry approve Rogers, Ernie, Karen, and Fr. Randy to proceed and represent the vestry in working with the attorneys to execute the two contracts:
(1) Resolution of the agreements with Daisy to repay the debt; (2) Contract going forward with Educare; seconded by Marie. Vote: Carried without dissent.
ELECTION OF THE JUNIOR WARDEN
Fr. Randy indicated that Rogers has agreed to continue serving as Senior Warden. Marie is willing to continue serving as Junior Warden, if elected.
Nominations were opened for Junior Warden. No additional names were put forward.
Motion: Joe moved that Marie’s name be placed on the ballot for Junior Warden, and that nominations be closed; seconded by Brian. Marie was unanimous elected as Junior Warden.
APPOINTMENT OF THE CLERK
Motion: Joe moved that Mariellen Bauer and Jan McMahon be elected to serve as Treasurer and Clerk, respectively, for the next year; seconded by Rogers. Vote: Carried without dissent.
VESTRY ORGANIZATION AND PROCEDURES
Teams: Fr. Randy talked about vestry service through the team structure and how well this was reflected in the annual meeting. Vestry members should give thought to the areas in which each would like to work, and notify Fr. Randy if a change is desired.
Vestry Meeting Agenda: Fr. Randy spoke to the preparation of vestry meeting agendas, noting that this is done at the end of each vestry meeting for the next meeting. The goal is to keep the agenda manageable. If it is determined that additions to the agenda are necessary following the vestry meeting, this should be done by the Monday of the week prior to the vestry meeting.
Vestry Duty Schedule: Rogers distributed the Vestry Duty Schedule – 2016 prior to the meeting, explaining the rotation. Vestry members should notify Rogers if you need to make a change in the schedule, and he will notify the office. He noted that the Sunday bulletin is completed by the previous Tuesday.
Vestry Duty Checklist was distributed prior to the meeting. Rogers asked vestry members to review this document and notify him of suggested changes.
Vestry Covenant: Fr. Randy brought this to the attention of the vestry, briefly explaining the importance of each of the three elements.
LEADERSHIP MEETING – FEBRUARY 21, 11:30 AM
Fr. Randy noted this meeting, stating that the purpose is to build on what it means to be a leader in the parish. The first meeting was in August, 2015 and was well attended. Vestry attendance helps others see their own leadership potential, furthering the goal of building a coalition of leadership.
JUNIOR & SENIOR WARDEN REPORTS
The Junior Warden Report for Vestry Meeting of 01-26-2016 was distributed and reviewed by Marie.
- Lent is coming up. Vestry members should make every effort to attend the Wednesday evening programming.
The Senior Warden Report – 1/26/16 was distributed and reviewed by Rogers.
- Annual meeting was great.
- Importance of identifying and planning all the tasks that need to be done this year in order to lay out a schedule to accomplish those tasks within the year. Everyone on the vestry needs to be part of this process.
- Annual apportionment distribution by the diocese back to the parishes is dependent upon paying the total 2015 obligation by January 31. This will not be possible as we are 4 months in arrears at this point.
- Will be talking to Jefferson Bank about the best course of action as a result of the $100,000 donation to the mortgage principal. Following the meeting with the bank, the options will be reported back to the vestry for decision.
Tentatively, the public installation of the vestry will be on Sunday, February 7, at both services, pending checking with Alain Robitaille.
A draft of a letter to parishioners from Fr. Randy summarizing the annual meeting was distributed. Work was done on the wording dealing with the budget and giving, and how best to address this issue with the congregation.
Fr. Randy brought three items to the vestry’s attention to let everyone know of the exploratory work that is being done:
- Exploration of the selling or leasing of the southern parcel has occurred with Carol Kinard of Hold Thyssen, Inc. Carol specializes in the sale and lease of medical buildings. She has already made a presentation to HT, speaking about options for both selling and leasing the property. Another meeting will take place in which Ernie, Cliff, Rogers and Fr. Randy will represent HT in discussions with Carol. Included in this discussion will be a request for Carol to lower her 7 or 8 % commission. It is possible that an agreement will be crafted with her. If so, this will be brought to the vestry for a vote, possibly by phone, if this needs to be done quickly.
- Moving the Offices: The same group (Ernie, Cliff, Rogers, and Fr. Randy) is exploring moving the offices, including drawings, assessments from the phone company, etc. This is being studied seriously, carefully and judiciously.
- Moving the Thrift Shop: Again, this is being explored. The decision would require careful, judicious planning and would include the involvement of the people at the Thrift Shop.
Parish life/Education (Marie):
Christian Formation Vestry Report For Vestry Meeting of 01-26-16 was distributed.
- YOUTH & CHILDREN’S MINISTRY Report for Vestry Meeting 1/26/16 submitted by Barb Kunath.
- The Stewardship Meeting Notes – January 7, 2016 document was distributed.
- A correction was made in the current pledge amount from $277,224 to $227,224.
The Fellowship Vestry Report January 26, 2016 was distributed and reviewed.
- Request for vestry approval for fund raising effort of a silent auction in June.
Motion: Brian moved that the Fellowship Team proposal to hold a silent action be approved; seconded by Mickey.
Discussion: The question was raised about whether there is sufficient time to prepare for a June silent auction. The issues with this were discussed, with the determination that the date could be moved if more time is needed to prepare.
Vote: Carried without dissent.
No report at this time.
Alain was absent for this meeting
Agenda items for the February 23rd vestry meeting:
- Vestry organization and procedures
- Holy Innocents review of report
- Plan of action for the year
- Vestry retreat
- Alpha was suggested as an agenda item. Randy will contact Art to discuss how Alpha should move forward.
THE LORD’S PRAYER
Adjournment: There being no further business before the vestry, Rogers moved that the meeting be adjourned; seconded by Brian. Vote: Carried without dissent.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:44 PM.
Report respectfully submitted by Jan McMahon.