HOLY TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH
VESTRY MINUTES – DRAFT
November 17, 2015
PRESENT: Rogers Howard, Senior Warden; Marie D’Imperio, Junior Warden; Ernie Colquette, Facilities; Joanne Wallend, Parish Life/Fellowship; Joe Rezendes, Evangelism; Alain Robitaille, Outreach; Fr. Randy Hehr, Priest-in-Charge.
ALSO PRESENT: Mid Brock, Acting Treasurer; Jan McMahon, Vestry Secretary.
ABSENT: Brian Jacobsen, Stewardship.
The meeting opened at 6:28 PM with prayer led by Alain. Marie will conduct the opening worship in December.
Joanne will take the minutes.
Minutes of the October 27, 2015 meeting
Minutes of the October 27, 2015 vestry meeting were reviewed. Edits to the Evangelism report were suggested by Joe.
Motion: Rogers moved that the minutes of the October 27, 2015 meeting be accepted as amended; seconded by Joe. Vote: Carried without dissent.
The Financial Report for October 2015 and the Treasurer’s Report were distributed prior to the meeting.
- Account 04115 – Educare did pay rent, but has not paid utilities.
- Account 56220 – Legal expenses of $777 is payment for legal expenses related to Educare.
- Account 57041 – Payment to Doris for 4 weeks unused vacation.
- No payment for Outreach due to financial crunch.
- Cash flow is still a problem.
- Our financial picture is improved compared to last year at this time.
- Rogers reported the following financial snap shot:
- Bank balance today of $15,723.
- Bills to pay totaling $3,976.
- Remaining bank balance will be $11,747.
- On the books we have bills totaling $27,635, of which $14,662 is diocesan apportionment for Sept, Oct, and Nov.
- Bills are being prioritized.
- Finance Committee is meeting regularly to review the situation.
- End of year should help as people pay up of their pledges.
- Others (besides Fr. Randy) can and should update the congregation on where we stand financially.
Motion: Rogers moved that the October 2015 Financial Report and the Treasurer’s Report be accepted; seconded by Ernie. Vote: Carried without dissent.
Fr. Randy reported:
- Current pledge commitment for 2016: 73 pledges totaling $213,314.
- Pledge strategy: Two weeks ago, team skyped with Rick. At that time there were 39 people who pledged last year who have not pledged for 2016. Rick has advised that a personal letter be sent to these people, simply reminding them of their pledge. Randy will compose the letter in consultation with Brian. Follow up steps are under consideration.
Rogers distributed and reviewed the proposed 2016 draft budgets (Operating and Thrift Shop).
He explained the proposed amounts for 2016, using the actuals from 2015 (Jan-Oct) and 2014 (Nov. and Dec.). Even with zeroing out of all ministry expense, we are in a negative position. All requests for budget for program areas/ministries will need justification. The strategy needs to be to look at where we can make changes. The Finance Committee reviewed the draft, offering some adjustments. The purpose of this draft budget is to give the vestry a clear picture of where we are now.
Fr. Randy entered the following statement for the record:
Educare has requested permission to transfer ownership of the preschool. Our attorney, Theo Karaphillis, has informed Educare’s attorney that a significant upfront payment is required for any deliberations to take place.
VESTRY NOMINEES – ANNUAL MEETING JANUARY 24, 2016
The possible candidates for vestry membership were reviewed, with current vestry reporting on the contacts they have made with potential vestry nominees. Fr. Randy will check with remaining possible candidates. There was discussion of other potential candidates as well as how to accommodate people who may want to serve but who travel or live part of the year in other locations. The vestry will continue to give consideration to people for the 2016 vestry.
Rogers distributed his HT Policy Manual working document and explained the process of editing, to date. This project is much more cumbersome than anticipated and a comprehensive review cannot be accomplished by the end of the year.
At the December vestry meeting, Rogers will make a request that, in order to meet the policy review requirement, the policy manual as it is currently written, be accepted. The editing will then be continued in 2016. Vestry members should review the working document and get back to Rogers with comments/recommendations.
DISCERNMENT PROCESS: PRIEST-IN-CHARGE/RECTOR
Rogers spoke to the discernment process to date and the issue of calling a rector, giving the background on these discussions. Fr. Randy addressed the vestry with the belief that, given HT’s current financial situation, the timing is not right yet to move forward with the calling of a rector. Fr. Randy emphasized his commitment to the parish, and that we are working in partnership through this difficult time, and this issue should be deferred to 2016, following the annual meeting.
JUNIOR & SENIOR WARDEN REPORTS
The Senior Warden Report – 11/17/15 was distributed and reviewed by Rogers.
- Saturday clean up day resulted in the grounds looking fabulous.
- Sunday concert, the beginning of the concert series, was first class.
The Junior Warden Report for Vestry Meeting of 11/17/15 was distributed and reviewed by Marie.
Vision: Fr. Randy noted, following the two Sunday group meetings on vision, as well as the current financial situation, that perhaps the vision for the HT’s future is not clear. While people are ready to move ahead, as evidenced by the response to new activities, there is a need to focus on making the vision clear. Fr. Randy committed to do all he can to communicate where is God calling us, in order to make the vision clearer.
Energize for Evangelism: A study is needed to determine what is happening with membership. At the beginning of the year, we had an influx of new people, but where are they now? They are coming in the door, and now we need to focus on keeping them. Energizing for evangelism must be our focus. We need to find more ways to connect with people in order to grow.
Task Force: There is a need for a proactive approach to securing groups interested in the use of HT property.
Holy Innocents Visit: Report distributed.
Parish life/Education (Marie):
Christian Spiritual Formation for Vestry Meeting of 11/17/2015 was distributed and reviewed.
- YOUTH & CHILDREN’S MINISTRY Report for Vestry Meeting 11/17/15, submitted by Barb Kunath.
Evangelism Committee Minutes – Sunday, October 18, 2015, distributed and reviewed.
- The Holy Innocents visit will be tentatively scheduled for discussion at the January 27 vestry meeting, inviting Rob McMahon to attend.
- Advertising for Christmas: A 2” x 3” advertisement to be placed in the TBT is proposed. Last year’s cost was approximately $130. Joe recommended repeating this for Christmas 2015.
- Discussion of a Christmas invitation card, with information about the services, as was done in 2014. Perhaps this year’s could be a smaller, less expensive card.
Motion: Rogers moved we place an advertisement in the TBT, and that we continue to work on an invitation card, re-evaluating that decision in early December based on cash flow; seconded by Marie. Vote: Carried without dissent.
No report because meeting has not occurred yet.
The wood cut as part of the property clean up has been placed by Thrift Store, with donations accepted.
The Fellowship Commission Report for Vestry November 16, 2015 was distributed and reviewed.
- The Fall Festival resulted in a good time of fellowship. It was a good start.
- Fall Festival expenditures outlined in the report, noting a total cost of $432.
The Stewardship Minutes for Monday, November 2, 2015, were distributed. Brian was absent for this meeting.
Agenda items continued December 29 vestry meeting:
- Policies and procedures
THE LORD’S PRAYER
Adjournment: There being no further business before the vestry, Rogers moved that the meeting be adjourned; seconded by Ernie. Vote: Carried without dissent.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM.
Report respectfully submitted by Jan McMahon.